Friday, January 14, 2011

Pain in the Knee

I have been out of sorts this week.  Now that we have had some breathing room added to our schedule, I have seemed to flounder somewhat.  I guess I am kind of in a funk...trying to regroup and work my way out of it. 

It may sound strange, but a big part of my problem is that I "tweaked" my knee in the beginning of December.  Nothing grand - no fall, trauma, or anything like that.  It just sort of started hurting, and I have been quite limited in my activities ever since then.  Oh, I can still walk around just fine, but what is really killing me is that I can no longer do anything strenuous.  I can't snowshoe in the woods with Ruby, I don't even dream of going skiing, and I can't work out anymore...and herein lies the real source of my angst.  Call me crazy, but I love working out.  I take all of the stress, worries, and negative feelings I may have, and pour them out into a really challenging workout.  I beat it out on the elliptical machine, or crush it with the weights.  In the end I always feel better, and you just can't beat the endorphin rush.  But for the past 2 months...no exercise...no physical release...no endorphins.  :(   Add the holidays and lots of decadent food in the mix, and now it really gets depressing.  Remember those tight pants I mentioned a few posts ago?  Exactly. 

I have had 2 trips to the doctor, and am planning to start P.T. next week.  At first, we thought the injury was no big deal, and that a little rest and stretching would take care of the issue.  While the knee is better than it was in December, it still nags at me any time I do anything more than walk on a level surface.  I am hopefull that the PT will help though, and at least get me back to a point of having no pain.  I anticipate a long, slow recovery, and patience is not my strongest suit...but what can you do?

On the adoption front...  We have re-booked our travel tickets to Colombia.  Our travel agent is a genius, and we will be able to fly in and out of Duluth for about the same price as we would have had to pay to go out of Minneapolis.  We leave on Valentine's Day.  Although presentation isn't until 2/17, we felt better about having a little bit of breathing room built into the itinerary.  You never know what Mother Nature can conjure up, and this way we'll have some added flexibility in case of really bad weather.  If weather is good and we arrive on 2/14, then Jason and I get to spend a few days exploring Medellin before we meet the kids.

No updates from our agency.  I will give a call today and see if there is any news or new information.  I can't tell you how relieved and happy we would feel to have news of the boys...but we aren't holding our breath.  In the mean time, we continue to wait in hope and faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment