Saturday, February 19, 2011

We Survived Day 3

Here's the time-out count for today:

Juan Manuel:  4 time-outs before noon
Santiaguito:  1, 20 minute melt-down that ended in a nap for him and a headache for mama
Christian:  0

Actually, our time-outs are really more like "time-ins".  We keep the kids very close to us, and sometimes the time-out is spent with one of us holding the kids on our lap on the "time-out" bench.  Poor little Santiaguito...I think he is really struggling to make sense of all of the changes in his world.  All day today, he was very pouty, and very sad, from the moment he woke up this morning.  He earned himself a time out for stealing the Star Wars slap-bands from Juan Manuel.  I held him on my lap and the poor little thing just sobbed for about 20 minutes.  I have the very distinct feeling that his reaction is more due to the chaos in his life right now and less about brotherly love and sharing.  He eventually cried himself out, laid down for an hour nap, and woke up a much happier little boy.

Juan Manuel was very mischevious and rambunctions this morning.  Four time-outs before noon.  We were trying to skype with my mom and he tangled himself up in the curtains, then tripped, ripping the curtain and curtain rod off of the wall.  He fell on top of Santiaguito, and the both of them ended up in tears.  We were practically speachless, as we envision dollar signs to pay for the repair.  We have the feeling that Juan Manuel is familiar with time outs though, because he just sits on the bench like a trooper, doesn't pout or cry, and comes off and is very sincere and apologetic.

On a totally different topic...Juan Manuel lost a tooth this morning at breakfast!  We were eating when all of a sudden Juan Manuel dove under the table.  We had no idea what he was doing and thought that he had dropped a piece of food down there.  We told him to sit back down please, and he did and didn't say anything.  We continued to "eat" for another 20 minutes (can you call it "eat" when you are chasing after 3 kids and throwing down cold food and lots of coffe?) when all of a sudden I noticed Juan Manuel's tooth was gone.  He had all ready lost most of his front teeth and had only the one remaining on the top, so it was totally obvious once he smiled.  We all laughed and then dove under the table to help him look for the tooth.  I am not sure what the staff think of us, but we are doing our best!  We never did find the tooth, but we had a great time looking for it. 

Speaking of teeth, these kids love to brush their teeth, even Christian.  We have got to get a picture of it.  They line up at the sink and all brush together and it is just adorable.

Christian is the cutest little thing.  He always wants to sit on my lap.  If I am sitting on the floor, he will just plunk himself right down on top of me.  It is funny, because if we are sitting together, and then I get up, he follows me around and keeps sticking his little butt out at me as if he is just waiting for me to sit down again so he can sit on me.  What a little sweetie!  We finally got him to go in his stroller today without fussing.

Today had a lot of ups and downs.  We are all adjusting to each other, and it is not always easy.  It is funny though, that as Jason and I sit here and try to remember what happened today, we can hardly think of it all because in some ways each day feels like 3...or 10!  We are prepared for more difficulties, but we know that many good times are on the horizon. 

Thank you again to everyone leaving us messages and emails...you feel like our life-lines as we flounder our way through our first days as a new family.

2 comments:

  1. Did the tooth fairy come? That is the burning question I have for you, LOL. So proud of you both for being consistent and loving in your parenting. Hope you are enjoying the warm weather - as we are supposed to get 4 - 7 " of snow here in the cities today. Thanks for sharing your amazing journey with us back in "Snowville."
    Love, Aunt Adele, I guess I should say Tia Adele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know that the "tooth fairy" is a little mouse in Hispanic countries? El ratocito de los dientes, I have a little story book about it, one that I've read to my kiddos before... "Un diente se mueve"

    :-) hang in there!

    ReplyDelete