Monday, February 21, 2011

A Better Day

Today we had a better day - there were no damages to the hotel room and there were no injuries to any of the children.  Yay!!  The weather was beautiful and we were able to spend lots of time playing outside, which is so helpful.  The kids are starting to remember some of the rules...no yelling in the hotel, treat each other with respect, no running in the hotel...at least some of the time anyways.

Today we changed our time-out consequences to deducting time from going to the pool.  This was extremely effective, and I suspect that we now have the childrens' full attention.  Juan Manuel had to stay in the room with Christian and I while Papa and Santiago went to the pool.  Mind you, he was only deducted 10 minutes today, but he seemed to get the point quite quickly.

We taught Juan Manuel and Santiago how to play the game Memory today, and they loved it.  They both cried when we said it was time to stop.  Tomorrow we are going to teach them Old Maid.  The older 2 boys both attended school, and I think that they enjoy learning and figuring things out, so playing Memory with them was perfect.

Tonight, instead of going to the hotel restaurant, we ordered room service.  The boys seemed amazed that a cart of food would just appear at our door (I had snuck into the other room to do the ordering!), and we ate it picnic-style in our room.  Meal times can be some of our most challenging times of the day, as our boys have ZERO manners...it is like feeding a pack of wild animals!  Always spilling their drinks on the floor, the furniture, themselves.  Using their shirts or the tablecloth to wipe their faces, crawling under the table in the restaurant to pick food up off the floor and plop it in their mouths.  We are trying to teach them better behavior with their food, and they are all ready starting to improve, but we have a very long ways to go.  In the restaurant, we try to seat ourselves near other families with kids, and give lots of space to the patrons having business meetings over breakfast! 

So, we are very grateful to have had a better day today.  We just realized that as of today, we have been in Medellin for one week...it feels like eternity!  We don't meet with the Defender of Minors until Thursday, and then if everything goes well in that meeting, we will be assigned a court and begin the judicial process.  We aren't even thinking that far ahead though, as our days are so busy just focusing on the here and now and running after the kids.

We are hoping for more sun and good weather tomorrow so we can get outside and play!

6 comments:

  1. You both are doing GREAT! Just continue to be consistent and little-by-little everyone will settle into a routine and understanding of what's expected of them. This is quite the transition for all of you. I guess this could be called "The best of times and the the worst (may be not the right word - but you get my idea) of times." Hang in there and know that you are all loved and being kept in my prayers. Aunt Adele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jason & Nicole, been hearing about your journey from mom, I finally got a chance to read a little of your blog tonight. I want to let you know that if you want/need some help in the communication aspect from Jose' or I, or if there are some things you just need to know how to say or whatever....just let us know. I've never skyped but I could figure it out without too much difficulty.... :-) Keeping you all in our prayers. <3 Lara

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear deducting pool time worked.
    Grandma called me yesterday, saying she got an email from you. They could only figure out how to open one picture, so I got them able to open both. (they still can't figure out how to print them, but at least they got to see them!) She said they still can't get on the blog, so I copy and pasted each one in an email and am going to continue doing so. She wanted to know if it was possible to email Jason back, and I told her yes. She was going to write a letter and have John type it out and email it to you. (I think it's so cute to picture those two trying to figure all this out) I wanted to let you know that she got the email and was very excited about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, I tried posting yesterday, but the computer was acting up. When my kids started not caring about time out, we had a friend suggest putting their favorite toy, etc... in time out. It's worked wonders. It sounds like things are improving, but thought I'd share it with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking about your comments and remembered when my children were that age and having some of the same feelings. Then your Mom told me about and showed me the star charts she made for you and your sisters. That was a really great help for me. (Thanks Dianna) There are so many cute stickers now that can be used also. Stars could also be drawn if none are available. The more stars the longer the swim time, reading time, staying up later or whatever. I'm really enjoying reading your wonderful adventures. Take care and God Bless. Love, Aunt Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Katie for helping Grandma, that is so nice of you. Glad she got the e-mail and that you are helping her with the blog. Your comments are so helpful and encouraging. Jason

    ReplyDelete