Friday, November 5, 2010

The Call

Two days ago, we got "the call".  It came in the midst of a chaotic week, and we are still processing everything that's happened, but here's how it went...

I had unexpectedly traveled home to my parents' house for a couple of days, as my mom had been hospitalized with chest pains.  Turns out everything is ok, she just has to lay off of the bacon from now on!

As I was packing the car to leave, I noticed I had a message from our social worker...an urgent sounding message asking me to call her right away so we could discuss some "things".   Hmmmmm.....  My mom was looking at me asking "Is everything ok?".   To which I quickly LIED and said "Yes, everything's ok.  It was just a message from the other day that I forgot to delete."  Sorry, Mom, I didn't want to lie to you, but I knew I needed to talk to the social worker and Jason before I said anything else.

I said goodbye to my mom, drove a little ways down the road, and immediately pulled over to call our social worker (I'll call her B from here on out).  B told me that she had news of a referral and wanted to meet with us as soon as possible.  I called Jason to tell him the wonderful news, and he sounded kind of shell-shocked and nervous.  We arranged to meet with B at 3:00, and knew that we would have a LOOOOOONG afternoon ahead of us.  I had a 4 hr. drive, and Jason was stuck in manditory hospital computer training at work.  Torture...but we made it!

We met at B's office, and we both looked a little worse for the wear.  I don't even know how to describe what was going through our minds as we sat waiting.  We were just minutes away from seeing our kids' faces for the first times.  Children, that until now we had only imagined...Would they be boys or girls?  What ages?  Are they healthy?  Are they safe?  Is it all going to be ok??????  We were a bundle of nerves!

B called us back to her office, and sat across the desk from us with a thick stack of papers.  She asked us how we wanted to proceed, to which I practically jumped out of my skin asking to see pictures.  She told us that our referral was for three healthy BOYS!!!!!!!!!  THREE BOYS!!!!!!!  And she laid out their pictures for us to see.  They are ADORABLE!!!!  We aren't allowed to post their pictures online, but they are a handsome bunch. 

Here's what we know:

Juan Manuel - 6 yrs old
Juan Manuel is described as happy, spontaneous and noble (the foster mother says:  noble, because even though he is scolded he does not get angry and, after a little while, he continues as if nothing had happened).  Regarding his favorite foods, he says "he loves everything".  He excells at drawing and painting.

Santiago - 4 yrs old
Santiago is respectful.  He is organized and described as analytical, introverted, and has good manners (the foster mother says that Santiago is very well educated).  He paints fluently and creatively.

Christian - 2 yrs old
Christian is described as happy, loving and spontaneous.  He likes hiding and being looked for.  He "displays a certain ability for climbing up and going down of chairs, tables, beds."  He likes to be cuddled.

The boys are currently in a loving foster home, where they seem to be doing very well.  The boys are all in good general health.  We are so happy that the boys have been kept together, as the information we have states repeatedly what a strong bond they have to each other.  Several people have asked us why the boys are available for adoption.  The short answer is:  poverty.  The boys' biological parents wanted a better life for them.  While we do have more information, we would like to keep it private out of respect for the boys. 

We are absolutely thrilled, and so proud to share the news of our sons with you all.  The days ahead will be hectic, I'm sure, but we know that the time will just fly.  We anticipate that we will travel in mid-January, and there is a lot to do before then!!!

3 comments:

  1. Whooo hoooo!!!! So excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sitting here almost in tears!! Tears of sadness for your Sadie and tears of joy for the news of your children!! Know that my wishes, hopes and prayers are with you and Jason now and always!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete